Thursday, January 25, 2007

"If you wanted a safe job, go sell shoes."
That was Republican Sen. Charles Hagel, Nebraska, voting YES on the Senate's resolution to not back President Bush on the troop surge. (I'm reading today's hardcopy of USA Today; which can only mean I'm travelling, and in a cheap hotel box, bereft of my desktop. Some wag once said he would never buy the USA Today; Charmin is softer. He's right~!)

In any event, as the copy says, this will set up a strong debate in teh Senate, a Big One, on whether or not we should stay the course, or find a way to get the hell out. I've always said that we did the right thing when we went in, however, the strategy and tactics at the ground level were less than what we needed to accomplish the task. Sure, we can beat the 'regulars' in a heated battle, using the most modern of weapon systems, and send them scurrying into their neighborhoods, dropping the paraphernalia of a true fighting force. Becoming Undercover Guerrillas. We have never, as a country, been really successful in fighting these insurgency tactics (suicide bombings, IED's, you know, the coward's war).

So we have to have this debate. Some 72% of Americans think we are wrong in staying the course. I think we have a lot more at stake over there than most people will realize; but the Democrats have mobilized the mediumb so effectively that, given most American's attention span and lack of at-home reminders of what we really are fighting (nothing is happening here at home...yet...to remind us of what we are facing, and 9/11 is getting dimmer in the rearview mirror).

So let's have a Senate debate. Let's hear exactly what each member thinks, and what positions are made. I welcome this debate. Believe me, I'll be on board with comments.

Oh, from this hard copy USA Today: Bob Corker (Tennessee's Senator,who beat out the Ford failure from Memphis), was on this Senate Foreign Relations Committee. I gather he didn't vote, but reserved the option to vote for a binding resolution to change the direction in Iraq. What? Did he or didn't he vote?
I don't have time to expand on this right now; workage calls...

powered by performancing firefox

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY