Saturday, November 29, 2008

This now-famous photo was taken by Sebastian D'Souza, a newspaper photog who witnessed the beginning of the carnage that left 195 people dead in Mumbai, India (previously known as Bombay). Only 10 gunmen participated in the attacks. Nine were killed; one is being...interrogated.

UPDATE: Maybe more than 10 attackers...
"Estimates of the number of attackers have ranged from 20 to 40, with the number depending to a considerable extent on the number of boats involved. As security forces seek to reconstruct how the gunmen managed to inflict so much carnage so quickly, they have been turning their attention to how so many assailants managed to reach the heart of Mumbai undetected and with such a large collection of guns, ammunition and explosives."
Worst of all, armed Indian policemen would not draw their weapons and return fire; instead, they retreated. From the Belfast Telegraph, Jerome Taylor, who interviewed D'Souza...
"I ran into the first carriage of one of the trains on the platform to try and get a shot but couldn't get a good angle, so I moved to the second carriage and waited for the gunmen to walk by," he said. "They were shooting from waist height and fired at anything that moved. I briefly had time to take a couple of frames using a telephoto lens. I think they saw me taking photographs but they didn't seem to care."
...
"I first saw the gunmen outside the station," Mr D'Souza said. "With their rucksacks and Western clothes they looked like backpackers, not terrorists, but they were very heavily armed and clearly knew how to use their rifles.

"Towards the station entrance, there are a number of bookshops and one of the bookstore owners was trying to close his shop," he recalled. "The gunmen opened fire and the shopkeeper fell down."

But what angered Mr D'Souza almost as much were the masses of armed police hiding in the area who simply refused to shoot back. "There were armed policemen hiding all around the station but none of them did anything," he said. "At one point, I ran up to them and told them to use their weapons. I said, 'Shoot them, they're sitting ducks!' but they just didn't shoot back."

As the gunmen fired at policemen taking cover across the street, Mr D'Souza realised a train was pulling into the station unaware of the horror within. "I couldn't believe it. We rushed to the platform and told everyone to head towards the back of the station. Those who were older and couldn't run, we told them to stay put."

The militants returned inside the station and headed towards a rear exit towards Chowpatty Beach. Mr D'Souza added: "I told some policemen the gunmen had moved towards the rear of the station but they refused to follow them. What is the point if having policemen with guns if they refuse to use them? I only wish I had a gun rather than a camera."
India has draconian gun laws. There's not enough guns in the hands of citizens, obviously. Even the police were afraid to use their issued weapons. You can't own a semi-auto weapon, or any bore that is chambered for 'service' rounds...including .45ACP, 9mm, any of the NATO or military rounds. Those laws certainly stopped these terrorists, didn't they?

As for the cops..I wonder if their service weapons were even loaded.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT BODYPAINTING | HOT GIRL GALERRY