|
|
|---|
Saturday, September 13, 2008
I've tried to ignore this crap all week.
Since last Sunday's game, I've felt the misgivings and heard the water-cooler buzz (Vince tried to kill himself; Vince had a gun without a clip; Vince got on the radio and lied his ass off; Vince was sheltered by Jeff Fisher and the Titans) but just haven't had time to track down the stories.
Until now, when I turn to my favorite NFL new media guy, Mike Florio, for whom I have some modicum of respect (his edgy writing style--well, once really edgy, but since he got a contract with some cell phone company and the big bucks started rolling in he's toned down significantly--reminds me of my favorite writer/blogger, Jeff G. at Protein Wisdom. Only without the depth and the clarity of worldview. And, when he does speak politics, Florio is as leftard as they come) says this...
I blame Titans owner Bud Adams. Bud had to get another slap in at Houston, at the Texans, by drafting Vince Young (Houston fans wanted Texas' VY with the first pick of the 2006 draft, instead of DE Mario Williams). So, after the Texans blew the pick (who's laughing now?), Bud Adams takes control of the draft and says, "Vince." Of course the team owner wins that argument.
To be fair, VY seemed to be a good choice at 3rd pick; even with Matt Leinert (Jeff Fisher's choice) and (my choice) Jay Cutler still on the table.
So, WTF? We are now looking at an exploded season, I suppose. Kerry Collins is fine, but lacks mobility outside the pocket. Slap him a few times, get him dirty, he's gonna lay down. He's not exciting, either. Great as a backup, but not as a team starter.
Should've paid more attention to Vince Young's Wonderlic, huh?
Official Police Report (pdf)
I wish the kid well.
Should've stayed in school until he matured, he left too early. The NFL is not for those who are weak in mind or character.
Like I said about Pac...maybe Big Al Haynesworth should sit on his face for 15 minutes or so, to toughen him up?
Since last Sunday's game, I've felt the misgivings and heard the water-cooler buzz (Vince tried to kill himself; Vince had a gun without a clip; Vince got on the radio and lied his ass off; Vince was sheltered by Jeff Fisher and the Titans) but just haven't had time to track down the stories.
Until now, when I turn to my favorite NFL new media guy, Mike Florio, for whom I have some modicum of respect (his edgy writing style--well, once really edgy, but since he got a contract with some cell phone company and the big bucks started rolling in he's toned down significantly--reminds me of my favorite writer/blogger, Jeff G. at Protein Wisdom. Only without the depth and the clarity of worldview. And, when he does speak politics, Florio is as leftard as they come) says this...
The recent post from MDS regarding Peter King’s report that Titans quarterback Vince Young has lost the locker room (by the way, Eddie George says the same thing on FSN’s PFP . . . check your local listing for the next showing) convinces us that, barring a dramatic turn of events, Young will never play football again for the Tennessee Titans, and possibly never play again for any team.Well, that's just great.
...
With the locker room lost, and with Young certain to face constant verbal harassment from opposing players on the field, this situation will not improve absent some heroic action on Young’s part (perhaps by throwing a pigskin a quarter-mile) to change his teammates’ minds.
Even if he can win back his teammates, he’ll still have to constantly face defenders who believe that, if they frazzle him sufficiently, he’ll fall to pieces.
I blame Titans owner Bud Adams. Bud had to get another slap in at Houston, at the Texans, by drafting Vince Young (Houston fans wanted Texas' VY with the first pick of the 2006 draft, instead of DE Mario Williams). So, after the Texans blew the pick (who's laughing now?), Bud Adams takes control of the draft and says, "Vince." Of course the team owner wins that argument.
To be fair, VY seemed to be a good choice at 3rd pick; even with Matt Leinert (Jeff Fisher's choice) and (my choice) Jay Cutler still on the table.
So, WTF? We are now looking at an exploded season, I suppose. Kerry Collins is fine, but lacks mobility outside the pocket. Slap him a few times, get him dirty, he's gonna lay down. He's not exciting, either. Great as a backup, but not as a team starter.
Should've paid more attention to Vince Young's Wonderlic, huh?
Official Police Report (pdf)
Around 1730 how the dispatcher came over the air and asked 410B to give him a number at which he can call. Sgt. Windus notified me that Steve Burke, security with the Titans, had a player at the stadium going off. Sgt. Windus later advised me that it was Vince Young and that he was driving a black Mercedes and was armed with a gun. Upon arrival at the stadium Jeff Fisher was by his truck. After getting briefed by the officers on the scene, apparently they were over there and Jeff Fisher flagged them down, I spoke with Mr. Fisher. I asked him what was going on and he proceeded to tell me about getting a call from Vince Young's therapist and she was worried about him. I asked him, " What made her worry about him?" He stated, " His mood, his emotions, he is injured, he wants to quit, and he mentioned suicide several times." He went on to state that he left the house with a gun. Around that time Mike Mu, Vince's manager, showed up. He stated that he lost Vince on the interstate and he was going 90 mph and could not keep up. I asked him, "When was that?" He said; "About 45 minutes ago." He stated that he last saw him getting on 1-65 north at Concord Road.
I then asked Mr. Fisher for the therapist's name. He said it was Sheila Peters. I asked far her number and he dialed it aud asked her to talk to me. I identified myself and asked for her title. She stated that she was a clinical psychologist. I asked her if once we found him if she would sign 6-103 papers on him. She stated that she could be one signature on them but that he would have to be evaluated somewhere. She went on to say that she was calling Parthanon Pavillion and putting them on alert. She said that she was not going to tell them who he was but to let them know. I instructed her that once she heard from them to call Mr. Fisher
back and let him how. A while later Mr. Fisher advised me that she had called back and that they were prepared to go and evaluate him on site wherever he was located. Mr. Fisher advised that he had heard from "Major" from Houston that Vince had called him and that he was safe and at an apartment with a female friend. After explaining our chain of command and how we had to follow lawful orders,I asked if he had that type of relationship with Vince and he said "Yes I have that type of relationship with him." In other words if Mr. Fisher told him to come somewhere he would. At that time we started making tactical plans as far as negotiators and SWAT in the event that Vince should call Mr. Fisher.
I was advised by Captain Jackson that Vince had shown up at the practice field and was talked to by Ron Carter and was checked by SWAT for weapons. He was allowed to talk to his therapist and then he was released.
I wish the kid well.
Should've stayed in school until he matured, he left too early. The NFL is not for those who are weak in mind or character.
Like I said about Pac...maybe Big Al Haynesworth should sit on his face for 15 minutes or so, to toughen him up?
0 Comments:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
