|
|
|---|
Thursday, February 7, 2008
Today's lame attempt by John McCain to 'reach out' to Conservatives...or, the 'CACA' spech...
Posted by kotang at 8:39 PMFrom McCain's CPAC speech...
"I know I have a responsibility, if I am, as I hope to be, the Republican nominee for President, to unite the party and prepare for the great contest in November. And I am acutely aware that I cannot succeed in that endeavor, nor can our party prevail over the challenge we will face from either Senator Clinton or Senator Obama, without the support of dedicated conservatives, whose convictions, creativity and energy have been indispensible to the success our party has had over the last quarter century."25 years of which you spent considerable time undermining and 'mavericking' in the wrong direction (leftward), with little regard for those who actually are conservative. You've demonstrated a bit too much regard and opened your arms to those who are not of our sort. Sucking up to leftists doesn't count for much when you start to look for support from us. Unifying with liberals doesn't really endear you to those of us who want to see this steady progressive march to national mediocrity denied.
You've brought this on yourself, McCain. You can't win this election without Conservatives. Just because we have a natural dread of Hillary, doesn't mean we'll give you our instant, thoughtless vote. I lived through Carter; I can live another 4 years with another lousy liberal President if I have to without flushing my own convictions down the John to support a mockery, a man with a thin veneer of cheap faux conservatism covering a 'maverick' who's little different from that Other.
More CACA speech...
"All I ask of any American, conservative, moderate, independent, or enlightened Democrat, is to judge my record as a whole, and accept that I am not in the habit of making promises to my country that I do not intend to keep. I hope I have proven that in my life even to my critics. Then vote for or against me based on that record, my qualifications for the office, and the direction where I plainly state I intend to lead our country."Let's see what you've proven to your 'critics' (who you now court) over the years. Let's count just the biggies...
McCain-Feingold. First Amendment, gutted. My NRA-besotted blood boils because of this, still.
Shamnesty. Across-the-spectrum disagreement for this plan. A mistake McCain admitted today at CPAC (if you want to call that an admission; it seems to me he was trying to justify that mistake, still.)
Remember the "McCain-Edwards-Kennedy Patients' Bill of Rights"?
"Heavy hitters Sens. Tom Daschle (D-S.D.), Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.), Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.), John Edwards (D-N.C.), and Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) joined a smattering of influential congressmen for a confident display of legislative resolve. A few hundred enthusiastic interns and union representatives waived signs and shouted frantically, oblivious to the rising late-morning heat. Republican presidential candidate and Arizona Sen. John McCain was part of the main display. He was there to bask in accolades, having crafted the proposed legislation in "maverick" bipartisan fashion with Ted Kennedy.
That measure made it in the Senate; the House didn't bite. Because the House was still Republican in 2002.
The Keating Five
John McCain defends John Kerry (against veterans who came forward and told the truth). Who's side is he on, again?
“I’m not giving tax cuts for the rich.”
And I could go on. Thanks to those who did.
OK, wrapping this up...speech CACA...
"We have had a few disagreements, and none of us will pretend that we won't continue to have a few. But even in disagreement, especially in disagreement, I will seek the counsel of my fellow conservatives. If I am convinced my judgment is in error, I will correct it. And if I stand by my position, even after benefit of your counsel, I hope you will not lose sight of the far more numerous occasions when we are in complete accord."Oh. So, I'm hearing "I'm going to do damn well what I want to do, because I'm Mav-er rick Baby, and I'm gonna go right along with whoever I want to, and if you don't like it, well, tough!"
Yeah, tough. I'm not feeling very good about this right now...
Labels: John McCain, Politics
0 Comments:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)