|
|
|---|
Tuesday, December 18, 2007
I've read a lot of writers expounding on Atheism vs. The Godbotherers, most of which are the usual back-and-forth crapfests that these innertubes are famous for. This one, "The God Fuse: 10 Things Christians and Atheists can (and must) Agree On", by David Wong, is a delightful, nuanced, and subtle work that's of course humorous and definitely not rancorous. I've read the post twice (three pages) and I'll put the thing up there in the top-ten internet posts I'd like to see everyone read before they die.
In a search for common ground between Atheists and Christians, Wong leads us into a 10-step program for finding common ground, starting with that idiot Phelps. Everyone agrees (except the 3 or 5 members of Phelps' 'family' who make up his 'church') that Phelps is barely even human, much less representative of people who are religious.
"I think we've got more common ground than we admit. For instance, both my atheist and Christian friends (I seem to have an equal number of both these days) tell me they agree with the following statement:That's wight, Wong, we agree on that. And on much else you written...
"Celebrating the death of somebody you disagreed with pretty much makes you a dick."
"Smearing all Christians with Phelps' bile is a cheap shot, like saying all atheist schoolkids are potential Columbine shooters. At worst, that kind of stereotyping is dehumanizing and divisive. At best, it's a recipe for mediocrity."I think even the worst of the Atheists from Music City Bloggers can agree with that...
"If atheism is wrong, it's only wrong in that it takes rationalism too far, beyond the edges of the universe. But you don't have a problem with the rationalism itself. There are people you love who would not be alive without it. You can pray that grandpa's heart holds out for another year, but rational thinking invented the pacemaker."Science and religion can co-exist. Every theory we have can be explained by adding a god to the mix...evolution could be God's handiwork.
"Virtually all scientists known to me personally have religion in the best sense of this word, but scientists do not invoke supernatural causations or divine revelation."Science is the facts. Religion is the true ethical/moral base for our human race, and most Religions have adapted to reflect our increasing body of knowledge. But I don't think our level of science and knowledge will ever get to the level where we can disprove the existence of our Creator.
Ernst Mayr, Alexander Agassiz Professor of Zoology, Emeritus, at Harvard University
But we might understand, better, the nuances He uses...
Almost forgot the h/t, to Sondra K.
Which reminds me again, go immediately to the Gay Patriot and vote for Sondra K...for reasons I've previously illustrated!
Labels: good read, religion...or the lack of it