|
|
|---|
Sunday, February 4, 2007
I love this post by Colleen Hammond, on the evils of watching too much Boob Tube.
That's right, if you get sucked into watching hour after hour of mind-numbing pap, you could end up a numbskull, having no motivation...or education. If you get too involved in The Box, especially when at a formative age, you lose incentive to study or (gasp) actually read a book! I know it seems wrong in this day and age of mass mediumb to attack the most popular form of public entertainment, but TV has definetely earned a bad reputation.
Note I'm posting this on...Super Bowl Sunday, while my derriere is plopped right in front of the box. BUT, to my credit, I have never watched any consecutive episodes of these world-renowned shows: Friends, Seinfield, 24, any of the Survivor nonsense, or any series that involves week after week of sitting slack-jawed and receiving effortless sensory input (now, I am partial to Sopranos, but since I don't get HBO, I have to either be out of town in a HBO-equipped motel box or just wait for the DVDs to come out...)
Colleen does a much better job than me in 'splaining the reasoning behind not planting your arse in front of the tube. Go back and read it...I'll leave you with this, from Frank Zappa, entitled "The Slime"...and this came out during the the last serial TV show I watched (that would be...Sanford and Son!) (Does Saturday Night Live count?)
Frank Zappa, The Slime...from Over-nite Sensation(1973)

That's right, if you get sucked into watching hour after hour of mind-numbing pap, you could end up a numbskull, having no motivation...or education. If you get too involved in The Box, especially when at a formative age, you lose incentive to study or (gasp) actually read a book! I know it seems wrong in this day and age of mass mediumb to attack the most popular form of public entertainment, but TV has definetely earned a bad reputation.
Colleen does a much better job than me in 'splaining the reasoning behind not planting your arse in front of the tube. Go back and read it...I'll leave you with this, from Frank Zappa, entitled "The Slime"...and this came out during the the last serial TV show I watched (that would be...Sanford and Son!) (Does Saturday Night Live count?)
Frank Zappa, The Slime...from Over-nite Sensation(1973)
I am gross and perverted
Im obsessed n deranged
I have existed for years
But very little had changed
I am the tool of the government
And industry too
For I am destined to rule
And regulate you
I may be vile and pernicious
But you cant look away
I make you think Im delicious
With the stuff that I say
I am the best you can get
Have you guessed me yet?
I am the slime oozin out
From your tv set
You will obey me while I lead you
And eat the garbage that I feed you
Until the day that we dont need you
Dont got for help...no one will heed you
Your mind is totally controlled
It has been stuffed into my mold
And you will do as you are told
Until the rights to you are sold
Thats right, folks..
Dont touch that dial
Well, I am the slime from your video
Oozin along on your livinroom floor
I am the slime from your video
Cant stop the slime, people, lookit me go
powered by performancing firefox
Labels: Boob Tube, Frank Zappa
0 Comments:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)